New Zeiss 30/40X Eyepiece - 02 Jul 2010

I've just received the 'NEW' Zeiss 30X/40X Wide-angle eyepiece from Eagle Optics today. I purchased with the idea of reviewing the eyepiece, and deciding if its worth keeping. After 10 minutes with it, I'll be keeping it.
Initial impression? Bright, sharp, clear, and no evidence of chromatic aberration (even when focusing on white siding in the late afternoon sunshine). The Nikon Coolpix P6000 against the eyepiece shows almost no vignetting (about 97% vignette-free). The 'new' eyepieces were manufactured for the 'new' Diascopes that Zeiss introduced this year, but are supposed to fit on the old Diascopes (mine) without the ability to lock in place. The good news is that it does fit my Zeiss 85T*Fl and it 'snaps' closed, and provides a snug, secure fit (although not considered waterproof?). With the 85T*Fl the eyepiece provides 40X magnification, twice the useful magnification of my 20-60X Zoom eyepiece, which I'm forced to use at 20x only.
I will need to make up a new digiscoping adaptor for the eyepiece, as its almost a full 10 mm diameter narrower than the 20-60X Zoom eyepiece. But I took this American Robin image hand-held. Not bad!
Time to work on a new digiscoping adaptor that will mount onto the Coolpix using the teflon tape dispenser cap I've been using for the 20-60X eyepiece. I'll write a full review when I test it out for real.

Comments

Popular Posts