Celebrating House Sparrows! - 05 Nov 2012

While everyone else is entertaining an irruption year / Hurricane Sandy onslaught of Red Crossbills, White-winged Crossbills, Evening Grosbeaks, Pine Siskins and even Redpolls, I'm sitting in my yard in Wyandotte, MI digiscoping the 3 dozen House Sparrows that have descended on my feeders.  Needing to fine-tune my Nikon V1 I turned my focus on these little birdies.

 Despite their less-than favorable status in the avian world, I decided to challenge myself to get some pleasing images of the birds.  I would challenge anyone else to spend some time with these birds, knowing that recognizing and understanding them is a great first step toward identifying other sparrows in the fields, especially birds like House Finches, female Brown-headed Cowbirds, and female Indigo Buntings. 












Comments

Dawn Fine said…
They are pretty birds. Nice celebration of a bird that deserves more of our attention.

Popular Posts