Finally, Open Windows! - 10 Mar 2016


I've spent the winter photographing birds through the windows. The images have been ok, but not to my satisfaction. The past few days, however, have seen temps in the 60's-70's, so I've been able to do some digiscoping with the windows open. What a difference a single pane of glass can do for image quality (in the negative sense).

Birds have been scarce, however. The rain and rising temperatures may have pushed the winter birds along their way, but a few Dark-eyed Juncos and American Tree Sparrows are still around. In fact, I've had as many as six Tree Sparrows at one time (a winter high). Check out the feather detail!





Song Sparrows have returned to the yard, with a pair of birds foraging close to the back window!

I remounted the Nikon V3 on the Digidapter so that it is closer to the lens eyepiece when wide open (10mm). This forces me to manually slide the Digidapter 'back' away from the lens in order to remove the vignette shadow that is more apparent now. However, I'm still able to grab sharp images while 'pseudo-hand-holding' the Digidapter in its sweet spot. The vignette shadow disappears when I zoom to about 18mm. Even more important, when I zoom the V3 lens out to 20mm and 30mm the focal points are now more closely aligned. The result? Sharper images at 20mm - 30mm!




check out the feather detail!


I even managed a couple pics of a semi-cooperative Tufted Titmouse in the shade!

Now, if I can only keep my little Asia from jumping out of the open window while I'm trying to photograph the birdies...

Comments

Popular Posts