More Digiscoping w/ the a9 - 10 Feb 2021


With an Eared Grebe hanging around the dock at Bishop Park here in Wyandotte I decided to try some digiscoping with the Sony a9. Skies were overcast at noon today, and temps were hovering around 15F, so it was pretty cold. 

Unfortunately, the Eared Grebe was not showing (it would be reported about 3 hours later) so I turned the scope on a Ruddy Duck that was diving in shallow water near the dock. Instead of using Manual Focus and Focus Peaking I decided to try DMF mode; I would need to use manual-assisted focusing in order for the camera to lock onto my subject, but it worked pretty well. I did several focus-failures (green focus box turns purple) but still managed a few nice keepers in about 15 minutes of work. 





I did come home to find a Purple Finch at the feeder, so I grabbed the camera and scope and hand-held a few pics through the window before it flew off. 


I'll try again tomorrow to digiscope a very rare bird in SE Michigan.

Comments

Popular Posts