Wilson's Phalaropes @ LEMP - 27 May 2021


Up to three Wilson's Phalaropes were reported at the Blue Heron Shelter just north of the Great Wave Pool at Lake Erie Metropark in Wayne Co., MI. They were found foraging in puddles in the grass next to the parking lot and surprisingly close for viewing. Except for me. 

I had made several trips to the area during the past several days and missed them each time. Other pairs of Wilson's Phalaropes had been reported during these past several weeks at Pt. Mouillee SGA and I managed to miss them, as well. So, today was a special day when I was able to spend some intimate time with a pair of Wilson's Phalaropes when Robin and I took an after-work drive to look for them. 

I was able to set up the scope at the edge of the parking lot next to our parked car and digiscope both the male and female from less than 50' away using the Swarovski STX85, 25-60X eyepiece, and Sony a9 with the new Sony 40mm /f2.5 lens. I will say that my keeper rate was pretty poor this evening; I had many stretches of soft images that I can only attribute to fast moving birds and overexcitement on my part. But, I got enough images to make me happy.



























Comments

Popular Posts